Do you have an outstanding heifer that you’d like to showcase? Enter the Virtual Heifer Competition for autumn-born two-year-olds. Full details below.
- Entry in the Virtual Autumn Heifer Competition can only be made by current members of Holstein Friesian New Zealand.
- $10.00 + GST per entry.
- The competition is open to in-milk, Autumn two-year-old animals born between 1 January and 31 May.
- All animals entered must be registered with Holstein Friesian New Zealand with a minimum of F12 and reside in New Zealand.
- There is a limit of two entries per Holstein Friesian New Zealand membership.
- To enter, the current owner of the qualifying animal, as appears on database at the time of entry, must submit a video no longer than 45 seconds, to Holstein Friesian New Zealand by the competition close off date. Animals are to be fully identified by birth ID, registered name and owner.
- Animals may have their tails and/or udders only clipped for the day of filming. No other parts of the animals are to be clipped, unless there is proof that the animal has been shown. Animals must not be fitted or haltered whilst being filmed. It is at the judge’s discretion to reject or penalise any animal that they deem to be in conflict of this ruling.
- All animals must be filmed on a concrete surface.
- Entries must not be filmed by a professional photographer or videographer. It is at the judge’s discretion to reject or penalise any entrant that they deem to be in conflict of this ruling.
- Animals must be filmed in accordance with the video brief ‘How to film your animals’. Entries accompanied by video footage longer than 45 seconds may be disqualified prior to judging.
- All results are available for publication.
You’ve selected the animal/s you want to enter in the Virtual Autumn Heifer Competition and now you need to video them. How do you do it? Follow these simple steps.
- Your video must be filmed using a mobile phone and be no longer than 30 to 45 seconds in length.
- The video must be filmed in landscape format. To do this hold your phone on its side rather than upright.
- Do not use video editing, effects, filters, music, captions or commentary on your finished video. We just want to see your cow.
- The use of professional photographers or videographers is not allowed. Videos must be filmed by the owner, family or staff member.
- We need an all-round view of your animal – head on view, side view, rear view.
- Animals may have their tails and/or udders only clipped for the day of filming. No other parts of the animals are to be clipped, unless there is proof that the animal has been shown. Animals must not be fitted or haltered whilst being filmed.
- Watch out for things like your shadow in bright sunlight or people moving around in the background.
- When you have completed your video, you may need to transfer it to your computer to send it to us (unless you are entering the competition direct from your phone). If you are unsure how to do this here are some tips
- Transferring a video from your iPhone to your computer
- Transferring a video from your Android phone to your computer
- If you have more than one email address, you can also email it to yourself
- To enter our competition, please full out the form below.
Virtual Autumn Heifer Competition Entry Form
Fields marked with an * are required.