The Star Brood Cow Award is for cows whose progeny gain points based on daughters’ classification and production and/or son’s BW and conformation traits to earn her stars.
- Must be a member of Holstein Friesian New Zealand to nominate animal(s) for Star Brood Cow award(s).
- A registered Holstein Friesian cow shall be credited with one star for every six points gained by her progeny, provided that three or more of her progeny have earned points.
- When ET progeny have contributed to points, this must be indicated whenever a star award is published (eg. Smithy Zane Lucky 5*ET).
- A cow can be nominated at any time, including posthumously up to five years after her death. She may be re-nominated any number of times subsequent to the first nomination.
- If the member nominating the cow for Star Brood status does not own the cow, then written permission will be sought from the owner before the nomination is accepted.
- All results are available for publication.
On Daughters’ Classification
- Each Excellent daughter earns 3 points
- Each Very Good daughter earns 2 points
- Each Good Plus daughter earns 1 point
On Seasonal Production
Each daughter with any one season’s production exceeding:
- 255kg protein or 315kg fat or season LW 250 earns 3 points
- 225kg protein or 275kg fat or season LW 175 earns 2 points
- 190kg protein or 235kg fat or season LW 100 earns 1 point
On Lifetime Production
Each daughter with lifetime production exceeding:
- 2,040kg protein or 2,520kg fat or season PW 300/80 earns 3 points
- 1,880kg protein or 2,220kg fat or season PW 225/80 earns 2 points
- 1,520kg protein or 1,880kg fat or season PW 150/80 earns 1 point
On Son’s Sire Survey
- Each son earns 1 point for every 12 BW points as recorded on National Database. Son’s BW/Rel >80.
On Son’s TOP Sire Evaluation
- Each son earns 1 point for every 0.3 Udder Overall points and 1 point for every 0.4 Dairy Conformation points as recorded on National Database. Son’s UO/Rel >75, DC/Rel >75.