Holstein Friesian Genetic Leaders is a joint venture between Holstein Friesian New Zealand and CRV proving young sires for members. Up to seven bulls are selected each year to be sire-proven. Two payment options on the bulls are available to the breeders giving them the potential for generous rewards should any bull end up with a marketable proofs. Housed at CRV, the young bulls are marketed through both CRV in their Progeny Test herds (not sold as young bulls) and Holstein Friesian New Zealand.
2022 Team Catalogue
Following the recent AE updates, significant changes occurred in the 2022 Holstein Friesian Genetic Leaders bull team. There are increases across all bulls in NZMI and BW figures and a decrease in liveweight figures. Click the button above to view updated information on the team.
Members can support this venture by purchasing straws for as little as $8.00 plus GST per straw. To get the best advantage of the genetics on offer we suggest you purchase a selection from the whole team. Single bull options are available if desired.
Purchasing Holstein Friesian Genetic Leaders’ semen also allows you to reduce the cost of your two-year-old classification. Get the two-year-old daughters inspected for Traits Other than Production (TOP) and classification, and you will receive a rebate of $12.00 plus GST for every daughter inspected. The current cost is $6.22 plus GST per heifer, meaning you will be paid just under $6.00 plus GST for every Holstein Friesian Genetic Leaders daughter classified.
Team Nomination & Selection Process
Is your bull calf the next Holstein Friesian Genetic Leaders superstar?
Nominate your bull calf(s) for the 2023 Holstein Friesian Genetic Leaders team. Holstein Friesian New Zealand and CRV team up again this year to select New Zealand’s next generation of top Holstein Friesian bull calves for Genetic Leaders.
Up to seven high merit bull calves will be selected to:
- Add value to the future of New Zealand dairy farming
- Increase efficiency and production
- Support different farming systems in New Zealand
- All bulls nominated must be a minimum of F16.
- Fat and Protein BVs ~25.
- Dam and Granddam should have a minimum Classification of GP83.
- Calves must be eligible for registration and be recorded on Database prior to nomination.
- New Zealand Merit Index (NZMI) will be a key criterion used to select the 2023 Holstein Friesian Genetic Leaders team.
- The selection process will place a strong emphasis on Protein production, Udder Overall, Dairy Conformation, Overall Opinion, Capacity, Fertility and Somatic Cell Count.
- Bull Calves must be born prior to 15 September 2022.
There are two close-off dates for nominations to the 2023 team.
- 29 August 2022
- 3 October 2022
Holstein Friesian New Zealand will contact you within 10 working days of the nomination close off to advise whether or not your bull calf meets the criteria for the next round of selection. If successful, a DNA sample will be requested from the bull for genotyping. You will be informed within approximately six weeks of the nomination close off if Genetic Leaders is still interested in your bull calf(s) for selection to the 2023 Holstein Friesian Genetic Leaders’ team.
The HFNZ/CRV Sire Proving Committee will announce the 2023 Holstein Friesian Genetic Leaders team in December 2022.
- Genomic results for all bull calves selected
- Greater exposure of your genetics if your bull graduates and is marketed genomically or when proven
- Semen royalties for both the Breeder and the Association, when a bull graduates and is marketed.