Do you want to help shape the future of NZ’s largest dairy breed society?
Nominations are now open for several positions on the nine-member Holstein Friesian NZ Board.
The board governs the running of our vibrant association.
Joining the board is an opportunity to:
- Be at the forefront of developing programmes to advance the Holstein Friesian breed in New Zealand
- Support the breeding of genetically elite cattle
- Expand your knowledge of the Holstein Friesian breed and the dairy sector
- Grow your governance skills
- Bring fresh ideas to ensure Holstein Friesians remain the country’s dairy breed of choice
Nominations are being sought from passionate Holstein Friesian breeders across New Zealand. Nominations are encouraged, even if a current board member is seeking re-election.
In 2023 the following positions are open to members, either by rotation or resignation:
- Ward 1,2, & 3 – One 3-year term currently held by Annabelle Scherer. This position is due by rotation and Annabelle is available for re-nomination.
- Ward 1,2 & 3 – One 2-year term made available by the resignation of Wendy Harker after serving 14 years on the Board.
- Ward 4 & 5 – One 3-year term made available by the resignation of Hennie Verwaayen after serving 8½ years on the Board.
- Ward 8 – One 3-year term currently held by Owen Copinga. This position is due by rotation and Owen is available for re-nomination.
Nominations close at midday on March 31, 2023.
Nomination forms can be downloaded by clicking the links here:
Nominations must be emailed, or posted, to the general manager of Holstein Friesian NZ Cherilyn Watson at email@example.com
For further information about the role, please don’t hesitate to contact any of the current HFNZ Board directors or the general manager. Their details can be found in the back of the nzholstein magazine.
What does the role involve?
The board governs the running of Holstein Friesian NZ, which is a member-based association. The association has six staff and its work includes offering cattle registration and classification services, running the LIC-sponsored Discovery Project which is designed to help provide Holstein Friesian bulls for the AB industry, and overseeing a joint sire proving scheme with CRV for young bulls bred by members. Board members provide future direction to ensure the association remains at the forefront of developing programmes to advance the Holstein Friesian breed in New Zealand. Directors also play a vital role in passing information between members and the national office.
How often does the Holstein Friesian Board meet?
The Holstein Friesian NZ Board meets face-to-face three times a year, and twice using online video conferencing.
The Board meeting dates for the next 12 months have been set as follows:
- Full Board & Committees March 14-17, 2023
- Full Board June 23-24, 2023 (at Conference)
- Full Board TBA June 2023 (following AGM)
- Full Board July 12, 2023 – online
- Full Board October 3, 2023 – online
- Full Board & Committees December 12-14, 2023
Do board members receive remuneration for their time?
The president and board members are reimbursed for out-of-pocket expenses incurred while carrying out their duties. They also receive a director’s fee, as approved by the members at the Annual Meeting.