Outstanding cow families, A2A2, polled and red genetic possibilities and extreme indexing are just some of the traits found in the 2022 Holstein Friesian Genetic Leaders team.
A joint venture between Holstein Friesian NZ and CRV, Genetic Leaders aims to prove young sires for HFNZ members with the aim of receiving marketable proofs and adding value to the future of New Zealand farming by increasing efficiency and production.
At least six bulls are selected to be sire-proven each year. Housed at CRV, the young bulls are marketed through both CRV, in its Progeny Test herds, and Holstein Friesian NZ.
The team is chosen following a rigorous selection process. Each year Holstein Friesian NZ members are asked to nominate their high merit bull calves to take part in the selection process, with eligible bulls moving onto the second round of selection which includes taking a DNA sample for genotyping.
With the New Zealand Merit Index (NZMI) a key criterion used to select the team, the selection process places a strong emphasis on Protein Production, Udder Overall, Dairy Conformation, Overall Opinion, Capacity, Fertility and Somatic Cell Count.
HFNZ General Manager Cherilyn Watson says Holstein Friesian breeders purchasing semen from the Genetic Leaders team are accessing young, genomically-tested sires of pedigree Holstein Friesian lineage at a cost-effective price, introducing quality genetics into their herd before it hits the wider market.
Purchasing Genetic Leaders semen also allows farmers to reduce the cost of two-year-old classification. Any two-year-old Genetic Leaders daughters inspected for Traits Other than Production (TOP) and classification will receive a rebate that results in the farmer being paid to classify their Genetic Leaders daughters.
Bull breeders themselves also benefit from the scheme, receiving genomic information for all bull calves selected. And with breeders who have bull calves accepted into the Genetic Leaders team required to sign into a contract with CRV, they are given the choice of a Royalty Option or Graduate Option as part of the agreement. HFNZ receives royalties under both options.
“There is a high success rate of sire-proving through this scheme,” Cherilyn says.
“This year, Genetic Leaders’ graduates Meander Shot Alibi-ET S3F and Rivendell Gforce Axel are being marketed by CRV once again, with newly graduated Rivendell MFU Scotch, who was part of the 2018 Genetic Leaders team, being marketed by CRV as a daughter-proven sire for the first time in 2022.”
2022 HFNZ GENETIC LEADERS TEAM:
This year, seven young bulls have been chosen for the team.
- Muritai Dubai Soul-ET-P brings polled and red genetic possibilities to the table, coupled with strong genetics from the memorable Waipiri Soul cow family.
His great granddam, Waipiri Oman Soul, holds the New Zealand record for top-producing three-year-old Holstein Friesian cow with 1,292kgMS; Dubai Soul follows that with a fat BV of 57.
- Waiokura Bubba Roadshow has distinguished lineage that includes Maire IG Gauntlet-ET, Mainstream Manifold and Cogent Supershot BLF BYF CVF, Roadshow supports high production with Udder Support BV of 1.25 and Udder Overall BV of 1.16.
His dam, from the Waiokura ‘Ruby’ family, was a good producer with a PW of 509 and excellent production as a two-and-three-year-old.
- A son of Busy Brook MG Hustler S3F, A2A2 bull Muritai Hustler Watchme-ET combines three extremely strong cow families – Busy Brook’s ‘F’, Maire’s ‘G’ and Muritai’s ‘W’ families – to create an outstanding pedigree animal.
With an Udder Overall BV of 1.14, this aptly-named bull will indeed be one to watch.
- A2A2 bull Buelin Nippon Wynchester combines the renowned Muritai ‘W’ cow family with 2020 Genetic Leaders team member and outcross bull CRV Delta Nippon-P.
With Udder Overall BV of 1.06 and Udder Support BV of 1.11, Wynchester offers strong traits to support milk production.
- Carse-O-Fern SE Producer looks to live up to his name with a Fat BV of 54, strong Udder Overall BV of 1.30, Dairy Conformation BV of 1.13, and a tremendous Rump Width BV of 1.18.
Producer combines outcross genetics from Silverridge V Einstein with Carse-O-Fern’s strong ‘Peake’ cow family, with Maire Mint Fire-Up and Tahora Taylormade-ET also featuring in his lineage.
- Melarry SSI Ren Filimore offers outcross genetics in combination with Rivendell’s ‘C’ family to produce an A2A2 bull, Rivendell MF Craig-ET, with plenty to offer.
Craig’s dam, Rivendell Griff Carren, has a PW of 522 and LW of 548, while grandsire S-S-I PR Renegade-ET needs no introduction, passing his solid traits on to Craig with an outstanding Udder Overall BV of 1.42.
- Extreme indexing is a key feature of Muritai Bless Website S3F’s exciting A2A2 combination of outcross genetics and the extremely strong, proven pedigree line of Muritai’s ‘W’ cow family.
Website’s dam line has consistently achieved PWs in the 700s, reflecting their strong production.
*HFNZ members can support this venture by purchasing straws of Genetic Leaders semen this season. To take best advantage of the genetics HFNZ suggests breeders purchase a selection from the whole team, although single-bull options are available if desired.